Admittedly, I'm sort of a stickler for spelling things correctly. On all our trips to my home town, I always noted, and mentioned--the Kow Kounty Kafe. Please, no. But besides my own personal chalk on the chalkboard reaction, I can't help but think about the poor child who's going to come across her name--at least I think it's her name because it sounds the same!--in a book and be so completely confused! Isn't "cat" always spelled "cat?" Or is it sometimes spelled "Kat?"
After I figure out what the name of the child is, my second question is often, "And is it a boy or girl?" Obviously, the parents of that child didn't worry about the two cardinal rules we considered when we named our children: Give 'em a name people can pronounce and spell and which obviously identifies their gender. No son of mine is going to be called "she" on the first day of tenth grade!
So, since I passed up my own opportunity to creatively spell my own children's names, I thought I'd try my hand at some creative alternatives for my grandchildren. Too late, unfortunately, for them, as they're already born and named. But--just for fun! I give you some of the names I could be writing on Christmas labels:
Parcur
Kayelubb
Soffee
Jaxxunn
Lyleey
Marrgrutt
Lynkunn
Jozzuhfeene
Addickuss
MayCee
Merrunn
Ulaynuhh
and finally, our soon-to-be addition: Ahluvuur
What do you think?
6 comments:
Luvut!
Margruut is my favorite.
plenty of people have asked me if lincoln is spelled with a K. yucky. although that is quite a good idea for ahluvuur... :D
fer kute. If there is one pet peeve that really gets me it is the fake spelling trend. Ugh. Txton. That is what a friend named her baby. Shanton is how that is pronounced.
Anna: what the whaaaaa? where on earth do they get shanton from THAT?!
Mom: your spelling of lincoln's is my favorite. ;) i also agree that the fake name thing seriously bugs. come on people. let's stop making up ridiculous names and ridiculous spellings.
Oliver is my all-time favorite male name. I will not be spelling it Ahluvurr!
Post a Comment