Monday, September 19, 2011

I Should Be Eating Cake!

This whole week just feels wrong. Like Halloween without a pumpkin. Easter without colored eggs. The Fourth of July without a flag. It's like those dreams I've had when I wake up in the middle of the night and realize that it's Christmas the next morning, and I've done nothing--absolutely nothing--to prepare. No tree, no presents, no stockings, no ham or pies or candy canes. In my dream, I leap out of bed and frantically try to find a store open in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve--some way to fix what is wrong. And then, of course, I wake up.

But this is no dream. This is reality.

Saturday, my baby girl turned thirty. Today, another baby girl turns twenty-seven. And tomorrow, my first baby girl turns thirty-two. And, if that isn't enough, my newest daughter (2 1/2 years to me), is also blowing out candles tomorrow. In Georgia.

And the closest thing to a cake in my house was the pumpkin-chocolate chip cookies I made yesterday, and they're gone.

In years past there were always cakes. Lots of them. I confess, they weren't particularly fancy, like the ones my girls now create for their own little ones. Usually chocolate, whipped up from a cake mix, baked in a 9 x 13 pan, and decorated with chocolate frosting, sprinkles and candles. It wasn't that they were unique in any way--except in quantity. In September, I bought cake mixes in bulk!

Each of the girls needed her own cake with candles to blow out with the family. Then, of course, we needed cupcakes for the party with friends. And finally, back before schools insisted that treats be properly and professionally packaged, there were cupcakes for all the classmates delivered during the day. That's potentially three cakes.

Times three girls.

In four days.

So don't give me a hard time for not making fancy three-dimensional unicorn cakes. By the ninth cake, we were forcing it down.

But the cakes were only the beginning.

Every year, there were parties. Some years, we had three separate parties. And some years the birthday girls shared the holiday. I remember one year when all three had a slumber party--the same night--and I'm quite sure that we violated whatever fire code our little town had, with twenty-six girls plus our own family stuffed in a three-bedroom apartment! We had treasure hunts and scavenger hunts, played duck, duck, goose and the candy bar game. We had balloon relays and water balloon volleyball. We sang and laughed and chanted "heavy, heavy hang over my poor head, what do you wish with a bump on the head?"

Sweet memories.

Of course, all the birthday memories weren't wonderful. There was the time Amy and her friends were convinced that someone was chasing them and called the police. And the years when the birthday girl was inevitably found in her bedroom sobbing for some unknown reason. And the years when I resolved that next year, I would skip the party.

But today, as I sit in my quiet house, I find that I miss it all. I miss the cake, the off-key singing ("and many more, on channel four"), the wrapping paper and popped balloons strewn around the living room, the sleepless nights. Mostly, I miss my girls.

Happy Birthday Jenny, Christy, Amy & Kristi!



Jenny with Grandma Hastings, on her 2nd birthday
Christy at her 14th birthday party
Amy turns 11
Christy's 9th birthday party; Amy--6, Jenny--11
Amy's 12th birthday
Christy's 15th birthday
Jenny's 16th birthday party
Christy turned 18; Amy turned 15
Eating their cake--differently
Christy's 19th birthday
Jenny's 21st birthday

Christy--20, Jenny--22, and Amy--17



5 comments:

Bill Hastings said...

Sweet memories. Hard to believe how fast our kids grow up.

Jack said...

Thanks mom.
I have a picture from two years ago...my first year in the family. We all had our own cakes.
I remember it being one of my favorite birthdays--being surrounded by so many wonderful sisters--all sharing in a fun moment together.
And all of us having our own cake. Awesomeness.

Briana said...

Hehe... Kristi I agree - the fact that everyone has so often had their own cake is amazing! :) And Mom, no stress, so far none of my kids share birthday months and I will still never make amazing three dimensional cakes. I think you did great. :)

The epic September birthday week is a little insane and neat all at the same time. Happy Birthday to a lot of my favorite people!

Nana's Spot said...

Happy birthday to all the girls...but I loved seeing the pictures of "little" Eric too. You are quite the mother...would have liked you to have been my mentor.
Love!!!!!

Christy said...

ha ha. those pictures are fun to see. good memories. crazy that you didn't have a single birthday girl around this year, but hey, i say make a cake and celebrate anyway. it's as much your day as ours-- at least that's how i feel about my kids' birthdays. :) maybe next year you should come celebrate with jen and me!