Monday, May 16, 2011

Why you should pay attention in history class

Because one day you'll be headed into a grocery store, with nothing but milk and paper towels on your mind, and you'll be approached by a junior high student carrying a clipboard. He'll ask, innocently enough, if you'd be willing to participate in a short survey for his history class. You'll be feeling agreeable, and so you'll say yes. Then his friend will whip out a video camera, and you'll realize that you made a mistake, but you'll tell yourself that it would be foolish to refuse to cooperate now. After all--how bad can it be?

And then you'll spend the following excruciating moments answering question after question with "Wow, yeah, I recognize that name, but--" followed by "I don't remember." Maybe because instead of listening during history, you were drawing hearts with some boy's initials on your notebook, penning your name with his last name, writing poetry. All those names and dates--in one ear and out the other. (Sorry Courtney.) And in that moment you will feel stupid. Really, really stupid. You might even ask yourself how it is that you managed to raise a family of bright children having such a low intellect yourself.

The boys will stifle giggles behind their notebooks. You'll picture yourself on some late night TV show, or youtube video. You know the kind. The boys will attempt to encourage you. "You were close," they'll say when you miss the date by a mere 200 years.

So the bottom line is--pay attention on that sunny afternoon right after lunch when everything but school is calling you and you wonder why you need to know whose picture is on a twenty dollar bill. Trust me. One day you'll be glad you listened.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh no! This was so great! I'm sorry it happened to you, and let me know if it gets posted somewhere public, I'd love to see! I always knew I taught for a good reason. If I ever teach again, I'll have to start the year by reading this story.

Jack said...

i'd bomb. for sure. i can't name more than like three US presidents. i still see you as an incredibly intelligent woman. who needs history names and dates anyway? big ideas are where the lessons are.

but i would like to see that video clip...

Briana said...

hehe... sorry! those boys! when i read that they wanted you to do a survey, i wasn't expecting them to whip out a video camera. oy!

but you've provided history teachers and classes everywhere with a really funny story. :) and i liked what kristi said about big ideas being a lot of where the lessons are.

Bill Hastings said...

Pretty funny!

Christy said...

ha ha. i can picture it all! my favorite part was the little boys trying to be nice. :) i'm sure i wouldn't do very well with a history quiz right now either. shoot, it's been like 10 years since i had a class! a bit longer for you, so you've got a great excuse. :)

Anonymous said...

That happened to me at Reams too! Only I was spared the video camera experience. With yellow writing tablet in hand, my two interviewers reassured me that I only needed to answer one question in order to avoid being the dumbest person they interviewed. Thankfully I did get one right, Whew! But I am still feeling particularly uneducated, or brain clouded, or ancient, or . . . something . . .

Amy said...

I actually do worry about this kind of moment coming up. But how many people know these things unless they teach them or are currently studying them! I guess that's the point, we should be studying them even if we're not in school. But when? I laughed out loud reading this post. Especially the boys laughing behind their notebooks. They felt to smart:).