Monday, December 7, 2009

Speaking of Stupid Comments . . .

I had my own this last week. We were leaving the church one evening when I noticed that a couple from our ward were in the library. We walked over and chatted for a bit. For some reason, (and who knows why this would have come up) my sweetie remarked that he'd just read that everyone actually dies of a heart attack.

To which the man in the library said, "And did you know that everyone has cancer."

To which I said, "That explains it. I've always been sure that I have cancer."

The man looks at me, surprised, and says, "You have cancer."

I try to back peddle. This was supposed to be funny. "Well, you know, some place in my body; I'm always sure I have cancer some place."

"I have cancer," he says. "I had surgery for cancer this week, in my colon," he says. "I'll show you." And he pulls up his shirt and shows me the incision.

What was I to say then? I have no response to that?

6 comments:

Briana said...

:) woops...

sounds like something i would do... so don't worry, you're not alone

Bill Hastings said...

How 'bout: Nice scar!

Christy said...

awkward!! who was it? maybe you should tell me in person, just in case...

Amy said...

Awesome. Way to pour salt (or is it lemon juice?) in the open wound! I love it:)

Lisa said...

I've done this so many times! There really isn't anything to say!

Jack said...

funny how I can actually see you face as he said "i have cancer"

love it. so funny.
these are the times that makes life funny...