Sunday, August 23, 2009

Camping at Hovenweep National Monument

We spent the last several days camping at Hovenweep National Monument! We especially enjoyed:

*stargazing--we even saw several shooting stars; the night sky was amazing!

*foil dinners, cooked to perfection

*the quiet--we very nearly had the place to ourselves

*time together to relax and enjoy the beautiful red-rock country and the ruins which took us back to another time

*a cold drink anytime we could get one!

*laughing about Bobcat and Mater . . .



We didn't enjoy as much:

*the punishing heat--pushing 100 degrees every day

*being dirty 24/7

*the added restrictions and unexpected fees: at Mesa Verde the $15 entrance fee only gets you on the road, but not actually into the ruins--we skipped most of it; at Four Corners it costs $3/person to drive the quarter mile so you can stand on the spot! We sent Andrew in with a camera!




















Four corners





Cliff Palace at Mesa Verde






8 comments:

Bill Hastings said...

Looks fun!

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful! We've been to Mesa Verde but never to Hovenweep. I guess we need to go! (Although, I, too, would like to skip the fees).

Christy said...

fun! although we kept wondering all weekend why we weren't invited. looks like it was only a "hoffmans still living at home" thing? i bet dad loved going back to his favorite spot on earth!

Anna said...

I love southern Utah sooo much. I've yet to go to Hovenweep....maybe this fall after cools off!

Lisa said...

nice!!

Jack said...

FUN!!!

Wish we could have gone!

Briana said...

Looks awesome! Sounds like a very fun trip! And I agree about all those fees - ridiculous!

Shandra and Christian said...

Fun pictures!

Thanks again for having us for dinner the other day. It was so good to see everyone, (and meet new family). Hope to do it again sometime!

- Shandra