Don't you love the alliteration? Okay, I just had to do that.
So, yesterday we had a training meeting at work, and I found a couple of statistics quite interesting. A little discouraging, but interesting.
One school (granted, this is one school, so it's not a huge cross-section) asked the question--is what we're doing to help kids who are below grade level working? Guess what they found out? For ninety-five percent of them, the answer was no. They went through the records and identified the kids who had had interventions early in elementary school and then tracked them as they progressed through the years. So how many made it out of "the system?" Only five percent.
Another interesting statistic. To maintain grade level in reading, a child needs to read 20 minutes a day. That's him reading, not including any time he's read to. For a child to jump a grade level, he needs to read 45 minutes a day--per level. So, if you have a fourth grader who is reading on a second grade level, it's going to take him reading 90 minutes every day to catch him up! And let's be honest, that's not going to happen. Instead, by the time he's in fourth grade, he has so many self-esteem issues tied up with reading, that he's going to avoid that painful experience like the plague.
5 comments:
that's really sad mom! especially that only 5% actually improve. what kids need most is good parents. and unfortunately the system can't fix that.
It seems we (read government) throw a lot of money & programs at problems without ever really testing to see if they work. Drug awareness programs, prison rehab, teen sex-ed, etc., etc. The imperative to "Do something!" (even if it's wrong) bypasses the need to see if things work. Consequently, expectations are raised, money is wasted, interests become vested so programs are never terminated -- only expanded. And the cycle goes on forever. I'm afraid there are never any easy answers.
With education problems, I suspect Christy is right on. All the money and programs in the world can't fix the problems that come out of disfunctional homes.
here here Christy and Uncle Bill!
I was just reading something along those lines today for one of my classes. Basically that government programs are nice, but that they are just band-aids. It has to start in the home.
Very sad statistics...
I am glad reading is so enjoyable. What if in order to improve reading levels you had to do push ups or something ;-).
But I do agree with everyone. Parents who care and read to their kids are what make or break the kids academic experience.
Okay, here's another little soapbox diatribe. I'm just a really, really big fan of ensuring that kids have the basics. So WHY ON EARTH are we teaching 3rd graders about obtuse and acute angles (something I had to relearn to be able to help the kids because I've never needed to know it)when they can't add two numbers without counting on their fingers???!!! Why do first graders have to identify a trapezoid (which I can't do right now) when they can't add one and one???? Save the geometry for the high kids who got it the first time, and don't move the ones who aren't getting it until they DO get it! I know that's not PC because they don't ever want to label kids (hence reading groups are bluebirds and parrots, instead of high and low) but nobody's fooled by those strategies. The cause is worthy, but it doesn't take a PHD to figure out which reading book is harder. And telling kids they aren't dumb doesn't make them feel smart. Knowing how to get the right answers makes them feel smart.
Whew! I feel better now!
And you're right Anna, for those of us who conquered reading, it's pure pleasure! You can see it in the classroom--the good readers bury themselves in books every chance they get. The poor readers do anything but read--sharpen pencils, get a drink, stare off into space thinking (about what, who knows?).
It's sad. I work with below level kids everyday, hoping it will make a difference. And it's such a thrill when you see the light turn on for someone--when they get it.
Post a Comment