Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Sons I Never Had

One day a few weeks ago, Eric and Ryan stopped by the house for lunch and a short break from lawn mowing. I was cleaning at the time, and Ryan immediately offered to vacuum--which he did. As Eric watched him, he commented that Ryan was "the son I never had." His comment--along with recent events--inspired this blog, where I want to pay tribute to all the "sons I never had."

The first SINH is Eric. Jenny's Eric, not to be confused with the son I did have! Over the last several months Eric has driven a gazillion miles to provide his family--but not himself--with vacations. His long hours in the car have been immediately followed by long hours in airports and airplanes and short hours in bed, then back to the grindstone. Thank you, Eric, for your hard work and willingness to sacrifice so much so that all of us can spend time with our Jenny, Parker, Caleb, Maren and Macey.

My second SINH is Tom, or Tommy, as my dear husband calls him. Tom likes to tease me. He's also quick to jump up after a meal and wash the dishes. He's completely genuine, generous and kind, a "what you see is what you get" man, who's just down-to-earth enough to call an apostle, "Dude!" And in just a few weeks, he's going to finish his RN at the University of Utah! Congrats Tom; I'm proud of you!

My third SINH is Ryan. Today I'm especially proud of Ryan for landing an English teaching job at the Springville Jr. High, where I know he will inspire and befriend many struggling and uncertain adolescents! I love to talk to Ryan, and appreciate his positive attitude, his helpful and kind nature, and his fun-loving personality. A creative and talented soul, Ryan always believes the glass is half-full, and makes life fun for those around him.

My last SINH is Rob. When I think of Rob, I think of someone who is always happy and completely without guile. With his postive disposition and his deep desire to do what's right, Rob will influence for good many young adults as he serves in the single's ward bishopric over the next year. I am proud of him for being worthy and willing to serve.

I am grateful to all my SINHs, for their willingness to sacrifice and love my four precious daughters. Each one is unique, but each one is strong, faithful, and kind, and I love them all.

And as for the Sons I Did Have (so they don't feel left out)--

Eric, who gracefully carries a load that is too heavy for anyone. I love you, and am proud of you and the man you are becoming.

Danny, who will soon head off to distant places to follow his dream. I'm proud of you for being brave enough to do that!

And Andrew, who listens to me talk, even when he isn't interested, and still likes to snuggle.

I love you all, and thank you for your love (and for providing me with the Daughters I Never Had)!

5 comments:

Christy said...

very sweet, mom! we all did marry pretty amazing men. and i think you described each perfectly.

and i'm glad you get that tom's just teasing you. :)

Bill Hastings said...

What a sweet tribute! There is something special about SINHs (and DINHs, too).

Me said...

Oh this was awesome! So glad we have such a close family.

Briana said...

yep, i agree - this was awesome. we have such an awesome family!

Lisa said...

Very sweet. You guys are a great bunch! Although, I must say- even though you didn't give birth to them, you can still consider them your own sons now :) claim them all you want!