Wednesday, July 28, 2010

In Case You're Interested . . .

I finally heard back from Covenant Communications, the publisher to whom I submitted my manuscript, The Price of Jade. They have requested a rewrite, and will be sending me feedback so that I can address their particular concerns.

They wrote: "We love the basic story, and find it unique and interesting--not the usual cookie-cutter novel in the LDS market! If you could do some work on the areas we've identified, I think it could be one that we would decide to publish."

I know it's good news, so why do I feel a little bit sad, a little bit apprehensive, a little bit numb?

I do know that I'm anxious to read their comments. And I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to be doing with all my spare time in August!



12 comments:

Bill Hastings said...

Congratulations!

Briana said...

Congrats!!!

I'm glad you finally heard something! I think this is awesome news, but I can understand your feeling less than thrilled with it - it's like someone's taking your baby and asking you to chop it up :) I am no writer and I always hated it/sometimes cried when I got critical feedback on anything I wrote in school/college. So, if I (an unexperienced, not very good, non-professional writer) felt that way, I can imagine that you feel that way multiplied. :) But, not to worry - my (limited) understanding is that just about every author has to go through re-writes. It's just part of the process. I'd say try not to take it personally and go out to eat to celebrate. :)

Hooray again!

Anna said...

Wow! I think that is wonderful! Good luck with the re-write.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, ditto to Briana's comments. I can't wait to read it. Do you suppose I could get the author to autograph a copy for me ;0) Congrats and good luck.

Courtney said...

Congrats! That's so exciting! I'm sure the extra work must seem daunting, but it's so exciting!

Christy said...

i think that is GREAT news! i can't believe i saw you last night and din't know about this! i'm so excited for you!

Christy said...

wow... din't should be didn't... althout i kind of like din't... like "no you din't" with a head shake. :)

Shandra and Christian said...

wow! That's really cool! Congratulations!

Lisa said...

CONGRATS! Very exciting!!

Me said...

ROCK ON MOMMA!

Lisa T Hansen said...

Liz,

I'm still excited about this! From the perspective of someone who has always enjoyed your writing, the response from Covenant is all good. From a creative perspective, it's bumped up "the threat of hope." Work hard and you just might earn another ten months of waiting!! Seriously, I doubt they would encourage you without putting you on the faster track. And I can't wait to read it.

Lisa T Hansen said...

Hey, Liz. I lost your email address. Email me back at lisathansen@gmail.com and I'll send you a link to our family blog. It's like a photo newsletter -- that is, hardly any personal thoughts, but your blog may yet inspire me to a little more self-disclosure. So nice to see you again!