Grandchildren
I found crayons in my sugar cannister. It made me smile.
Growing Up
Tonight Andrew goes on his first scout campout. And, after today, he's officially a sixth grader. Which means that Jr. High is only one year away. A year and a summer. Becoming a deacon is less than ten months away. And today he put on a long-sleeved shirt for school, and lots of cologne. He said he wants the ladies to remember him.
Writing
So close. So close. A week ought to do it.
Books
Mostly, I love them. Afterall, nine months out of the year I help struggling readers learn how to read and try to convince them that books are their friends. I put myself to sleep every night reading a book. And my life-long dream is to have my name on a book cover or two. So it's not like I'm illiterate. I just like my books in some level of moderation--defined by their ability to fit in their allotted space. If you've been to our little house any time lately, you'll understand what I mean. Not only is there a 12 x 8 ft. wall dedicated to them, but there are no fewer than eight other bookcases scattered throughout the house. Half the storage space in the garage is filled with boxes labeled "books." Children's books, teen books, Christmas books, and mostly just overflow books. No room for the Christmas ornaments and out-of season clothes, because the storage space is filled with books.
And that is not all. Several months ago I swapped out the two shelf cookbook bookcase for a three shelf one. Now it's bulging, with cookbooks stacked on top-and growing. Cookbooks about cooking pasta, cooking Chinese, cooking with chocolate, seven hundred cookies made from one recipe, dinner on the table in five minutes or less, meals from scratch, meals from a can. Meals using twinkies. You name it, we have it. I must be a gourmet cook, right? Wrong. I think someone is hoping that the power of suggestion will make a difference.
But that is not all. My bedroom is stacked with more books, piled high in front of the window so that I can't reach to open the blinds. And the piles grow by day. Partly, I think, because my husband is trying to prevent me finding new homes for the homeless. If they're there, beside his bed, he can keep an eye on them. They're safe.
Nearly every day another box or two of books enters the house and takes up residence on the kitchen counter until I can find a new home for them. Yesterday was no different. Two boxes of books (and other miscellanea) came home. As my sweet husband showed me today's loot--the lighted nativity set, the Christmas trays, the interactive baseball, golf, and fishing calendars with little dice-like numbers to change the date each day (would someone really want to do that?) , the book about internet pornography, and the book entitled 365 Salutes to America--he gleefully pulled out the bottom book. Before I could tell him that we all ready had a copy, he said, "And the best thing is this. It's just like the one we have, so we can give it to one of our kids (and he named a couple). Or maybe (he gets that glazed look in his eyes) we should keep it so we can have one copy upstairs and one copy downstairs." NOOOOOOOOOOO!
7 comments:
oh dad- NOOOO! you do not need a copy upstairs and a copy downstairs. just say no, dad. it's a hard step, but an important one. :)
i love the "wants the ladies to remember him." he he.
crayons in your sugar? I think i might know when that happened. those girls are nuts, especially when they're together.
sorry about the crayons in the sugar - I didn't even know they could reach up there! But, I'm glad you can laugh about it :)
Andrew makes me laugh so hard... he sounds like he is taking after Eric (well, how he once was at least) in his love of girls ;)
Sorry about the books... one copy upstairs and one downstairs - now that is just insanity... :) Just get rid of a bunch of them... there's so many I bet he'll never notice
I thought we had a lot of books. Now I feel deprived! When do we get to see a pic of Danny & bride?
You sound just like my mother-in-law! She has her garage jam packed with all varieties of books... and school "stuff" that she can't get rid off, even though she isn't teaching children anymore. But I love it because she is always giving the kids books to read. And each time her school does book orders she gets all us girls more cookbooks... I too have one for everything you could imagine- its a great thing! :)
Ha ha ha! to all of it. sorry about the crayons in the sugar:) Maybe the girls put them there because both are tasty. And awesome that Drew loves the ladies. And don't ever turn the books away... we happen to love the flood!
And this is Amy
Yay for books, even when they are slowly pushing you out of your space.
Post a Comment