Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Fruit Flies

The subject of this post is how to get rid of fruit flies. We're talking millions here, not just a few nasty little critters that fly around the bananas and can be swiped into the kitchen sink with a motion or two. We're talking millions of reproducing fruit flies.

We're talking four mason jars full of fruit flies. They're sitting on an antique piece of furniture in my bedroom, right in front of my porcelain statues, arranged in order of age. The ones that are in the pupae stage next to the writhing mass of little maggots. Without my glasses, they almost look like pieces of rice. Almost. Until you see them move.

Their only redeeming quality is that they can't fly, so theoretically, they should be easier to catch.

I wonder what the microwave would do to them.

5 comments:

Briana said...

oh, mom!! I totally feel for you! Because you are taking the hit for both of us. And I think you are a better wife, because obviously I've harangued/threatened/nagged/pleaded with Eric enough that he figured out that the fruit fly thing was not ok in our house. :)

I'm sorry you have to deal with all of those things - they are truly gross. Maybe you could just spray some cleaning chemical into the jars - then they would die, but you would look totally innocent :) Or the microwave would be good too- you could take them out and put the jars back and none would be the wiser.

Christy said...

KILL THE FRUIT FLIES! PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER! that's what dwight did to angela's cat (on the office) and i thought it was a fantastic idea.

jk, i'm not a cat killer. but i am a bug killer, so again i say, KILL THE FRUIT FLIES! no idea what they're for, but i'm sure there can't be ANY reason that's good enough for that!

Jack said...

wow. the plot thickens. the term "writhing mass" bounced around in my dreams last night...

Anna said...

eeeeek

Amy said...

Sometimes I wonder how I came from dad:) I love the man. A Lot. But seriously... breeding fruit flies? It just makes me feel very sad inside.