Sunday, October 12, 2008

Kai--tender mercy or dirty animal?




The downside:
1) She sheds. Brushing and vacuuming help, but still, she sheds.

2) She smells like a dog, especially when wet. Bathing helps, but still, she smells like a dog, especially when it's been a week.

3) What goes in must come out, and nobody particularly enjoys yard duty.

The upside:
1) She loves you no matter what you do. When she can choose to be anywhere she wants, she'll choose to be with you. Guaranteed: nobody else will mourn your absence or greet your return with as much enthusiasm as she will. Even if you ignore her.

2) She's always up for a game, and you get to choose when, where and what. No need to negotiate or compromise. If you want to go somewhere or do something, she's always excited to join you.

3) She's a gentle alarm clock for sleepy sons! A snuggle and wet kiss coax reluctant wakers from their beds a lot easier than the whole plethera of clock radios, snooze buttons, squirt bottles and yelling/shaking/threatening/begging routines.

4) She's an empathetic listener when you're feeling sad, and she'll never interrupt or tell you you're wrong.

5) Her number one goal in life is to please you! Who else can you say that about?

I was thinking about this one day when I noticed her dirty paw prints crossing my clean kitchen floor, and it hit me--the simple truth: it's a choice. I thought of all the furry and not so furry creatures who have shared our home over the years, and realized that--while I would love to have a floor that stays clean and a house that always smells sweet--I choose life with what Julie called "the best toy" and Danny called "a tender mercy." The love and the joy makes the inconvenience worth it.

7 comments:

Christy said...

glad you guys found a good dog. kai seems like a sweetie.

for now, i keep sophie and tom around for the unconditional love, listening ear and playmates.

i guess i choose the clean house. :)

Lisa said...

I know what you mean about a dog. We have 2 shihtzus (ok, I have them, Jake tolerates them) and I love that they snuggle and play and like to be held. All you have to do is look at them or say anything and they're soo happy to see you! Makes you feel needed and they feel the void of a baby in the house :)

Briana said...

very cute pictures

#4 is almost enough to convince me to get some sort of a four legged pet.... almost :)

Amy said...

Very cute picture of Jo and Kai! She sure does love animals. And I forgot how funny Kai was up at the lake... how she had to sit in her own beach chair:)

Briana said...

Woops! I meant number 3, not number 4! :)

Brian and Amelia said...

Hi there! You may or may not remember me, but I did flags with your daughter, Jenny in high school! Since her wedding, and her moving away, I have since lost track of her, and would love to get in contact with her again. If you could just let her know I was inquiring, my email address is brian.amelia@hotmail.com. I hope all is well! You have a wonderful family!

Amelia (Poulson) Torgersen
P.S. I found your blog through Bonnie Cuthill's

Me said...

I heart kai! She's a babe!