Thursday, May 1, 2008

Totally and Unabashedly Addicted

And I never watch TV. It's true. Ask those who know me best. In fact, that box in the living room is the only thing I have ever had violent fantasies about, fantasies which involve baseball bats and pruning sheers--not in the same fantasy, by the way.

But here I am, watching American Idol every week. Totally addicted. And if that's not enough, I've found that the night just isn't complete without at least one episode of 24. Of course, that's on a DVD, so does it still count? Probably, since it had its beginnings on TV.

But the upside is that AI is somewhat self-limiting and I get to see my married kids more (since I offer a free meal for anyone who will participate with me). As for 24--let's just put it this way. The show puts my life in perspective. Anything that goes wrong, I can always say, "It could be worse. I could be Jack." "Had a bad day? Try Jack's."

So that's not all bad, is it?

6 comments:

Bill Hastings said...

Haven't gotten hooked on American Idol -- in fact, don't think I've ever watched an episode. Love 24, however.

Ryan said...

There are lots and lots of worse things to be addicted to mom, so I wouldn't worry too much. Plus I am so happy that you now support America's superhero Jack Bauer.

Briana said...

I agree that there are lots worse things you could be addicted to. :)

Christy said...

yes, like you could be addicted to heroin like jack. once again, at least you don't have jack's life.

love both shows, as you know, and i think it is SO great that you and dad are addicted to american idol (oh, and grandma, even funnier). after growing up with you it's just funny to see ya'll (i'm in texas, i can say ya'll) participating in something so pop-culturish. love it!

Amy said...

That's pretty funny because I can honestly say I don't know anything you have hated more than the TV. Maybe the computer. Maybe they tie:) But those two shows hardly represent the TV. And, yes, I will be at the AI party tonight!

Switter Anne said...

Ah but Amy, you misunderstand. I love the computer. It is here at the computer keyboard, where I concoct stories and dream of them becoming--well, not exactly best sellers, but maybe minor sellers.

It's not the computer, it's the horrid things that evil men have done with the computer, and the vigilance I have to exercise to protect my own.


And it's the games. The "huh" I get after the fourth time I've called a name. The thuds and yelps I hear coming from the computer screen. The disinterest in ball games and bike riding and ant watching and cloud gazing.


It's not the computer. Believe me, I'd love to have one of my own. A lap top that I can prop on my lap in bed and write the imaginings of my mind while the rest of the world slumbers. And there would be no games on it :)